Contributions to Science
Select publications of my research are listed below; a full list can be found here [hyperlink to https://scholar.google.nl/citations?user=YnFwJmwAAAAJ&hl=en]
The role of sleep in mental health
• Luik AI, Bostock S, Chisnall L, Kyle SD, Lidbetter N, Baldwin N, Espie CA. Treating depression and anxiety with digital CBT for insomnia: a real world NHS evaluation using standardized outcome measures. Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapy 2017, 45:91-96.
• Luik AI, Zuurbier LA, Direk N, Hofman A, Van Someren EJW, Tiemeier H. 24-Hour activity rhythm and sleep disturbances in depression and anxiety: A population-based study of middle-aged and older persons. Depression and Anxiety 2015, 32:684-692.
• Luik AI, Direk N, Zuurbier LA, Hofman A, Van Someren EJW, Tiemeier H. Sleep and 24-hour activity rhythms in relation to cortisol change after a very low-dose of dexamathasone: A population-based study of middle-aged and older persons. Psychoneuroendocrinology 2015, 53:207-216.
• Luik AI, Zuurbier LA, Whitmore H, Hofman A, Tiemeier H. REM-sleep and depressive symptoms in a population-based study of middle-aged and elderly persons. Journal of Sleep Research 2015, 24: 305-308.
The role of sleep in physical health
• Lysen TS, Wolters FJ, Luik AI, Ikram MK, Tiemeier H, Ikram MA. Self-reported sleep quality is not associated with incident dementia: the Rotterdam Study. Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease 2018, 64: 239-247.
• Lane JM, Liang J, Vlasac I, Anderson SG, Bechtold DA, Bowden J, Emsley R, Gill S, Little MA, Luik AI, Loudon A, Scheer FAJL, Purcell SM, Kyle SD, Lawlor DA, Zhu X, Redline S, Ray DW, Rutter MK, Saxena R. Genome-wide association studies of sleep disturbance traits identify novel loci and highlight shared genetics with neuropsychiatric and metabolic traits. Nature Genetics 2017, 49:174-281.
• Zuurbier LA, Luik AI, Van Someren EJW, Tiemeier H. Fragmentation and stability of circadian activity rhythms predict mortality: the Rotterdam study. American Journal of Epidemiology 2015, 181:54-63.
• Luik AI, Zuurbier LA, Hofman A, Van Someren EJW, Tiemeier H. Stability and fragmentation of the activity rhythm across the sleep-wake cycle: the importance of age, lifestyle, and mental health. Chronobiology International 2013, 30:1223-1230.
Digital medicine for insomnia
• Luik AI, Farias-Machado P, Espie CA. Digital Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for insomnia in the real world: Does using a wearable device help? NPJ Digital Medicine 2018, 1:3
• Cheng P, Luik AI, Fellman-Couture C, Peterson E, Joseph C, Tallent G, Tran KM, Ahmedani B, Roehrs T, Roth T, Drake C. Efficacy of Digital CBT for Insomnia to Reduce Depression across Demographic Groups: A Randomized Trial. Psychological Medicine 2018, published online
• Luik AI, Kyle SD, Espie CA. Digital Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (dCBT) for insomnia: A state-of-the-science Review. Current Sleep Medicine Reports 2017, 3:48-56.
• Freeman D, Sheaves B, Goodwin GM, Yu LM, Nickless A, Harrison PJ, Emsley R, Luik AI, Foster RG, Wadekar V, Hinds C, Gumley A, Jones R, Lightman S, Jones S, Bentall R, Kinderman P, Rowse G, Brugha T, Blagrove M, Gregory AM, Fleming L, Walklet E, Glazebrook C, Davies EB, Hollis C, Haddock G, John B, Coulson M, Fowler D, Pugh K, Cape J, Moseley P, Brown G, Hughes C, Obonsawin M, Coker S, Watkins E, Schwannauer M, MacMahon K, Siriwardena AN, Espie CA. An explanatory randomised controlled trial testing the effects of improving sleep on mental health: an interventionist-causal model approach with mediation analysis. Lancet Psychiatry 2017, 4:749-758.
Link to all publications by Dr. AI Luik: Click here for full list of publications